Waste: danger or opportunity?
1.Study the attitude of people to the problem of waste disposal.
2.Reveal examples of effective experience in solving the problem
1. Most people consider that the problem of garbage disposal is important.
2. Many people do have not enough information and they have no opportunity to sort garbage.
Equipment and materials are not required.
Why use data from multiple participants?
Using the GlobalLab opportunities you can evaluate the attitude of population from different regions to the utilization of household waste and you can identify examples of good practices in solving of the problem.
- Talk to parents, teachers and try to figure out how waste is disposed in your residential area. Is it transferred to the rubbish dump, burned down in specialized plants or it is sorted and recycled?
- Try to sort the trash during one day: collect different types of waste into different trash bags. It may be:organic waste (food waste, grass, leaves, paper napkins and towels); glass (glasses, bottles, broken glasses), paper and paperboard (newspapers, magazines, notebooks, letters, packaging materials), plastic (plastic packaging, bottles, bags, toys, disposable tableware), (hazardeous or) toxic waste(batteries, energy-saving lamps), metal (packaging, tins), clothing, shoes. What types of household waste you could sort?
- Determine which components of waste processing can make a profit. To answer this question, you can talk to your teacher of chemistry, biology, and ecology. You may find information in the Internet.
- What do people usually do with toxic (highly hazardous) waste, such as waste batteries and energy-saving lamps in your residential area? Try to find the answer to this question by talking to adults and friends.
- Give examples (photo) of solving the problem of garbage disposing. It may be the sorting system (containers, grids, etc.)that you have seen in your residential area or in other cities and countries. Post your photos as an answer, and make a description where you took those pictures.
- Make an example of recycling . What can be produced of household waste? It may be an example that you have found in the Internet. Specify the source of the information.
- Make a posteror a photo collage about recycling of household waste in your required location or in the world. Place the poster on the wall at your school or on the school's website and take a picture of that.
- Fill the project form.
- Evaluate the results of other project participants. Notice how the problem is solved in different areas.
The project does not include work with natural (real??) objects, therefore special safety regulations are not used.